CHILLED MANGO & ROASTED RED PEPPER SOUP
If a smoother consistency is desired, press mango mixture through a wire-mesh strainer, use the back of a spoon to squeeze out the liquid. Discard pulp and solids. Straining and discarding solids will yield less volume but makes a very smooth soup.
- 3 large yellow peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2 large mangoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 2 ½ cups) reserve ½ cup for garnish
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons tabasco sauce – optional
- Place peppers cut side down on an aluminium foil-lined baking sheet. Grill for 15 minutes or until blistered. Place peppers in a large zip-lock plastic bag; seal and let stand for 10 minutes to loosen skins, or place in a bowl and cover with cling-wrap. Peel peppers, discarding skins
- Process peppers and mango in a blender or food processor until smooth and then add the stock, lime juice, ginger and tabasco sauce
- Process until smooth
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and chill soup for 2 hours.
- Serve in chilled bowls garnished with mango pieces and croutons